Monday, January 24, 2011

Conducting Entry 1

We are currently reading The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. At first, I thought, how in the world does this pertain to conducting, but in every way it does in some shape or form.

In the Introduction/Overview, Covey shows 3 pictures. One of a young lady, one of an old lady, and then one combining the 2. 
After looking at this picture and seeing only the young lady, I continued to read the description of how to "see" the old lady and had that "aha" moment. Covey's point was that many times we have to shift our paradigm and see other's. We have to see the perspectives of the people we work with. Applying this to conducting, as a conductor I have to understand the paradigms of my audience, my choral ensemble, my instrumentalists, and myself. It is then I can become a more effective conductor, communicator, and leader. Very fascinating chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment